Thursday, October 18, 2007

DBMM 400pts Turgesh vs T'Ang Chinese



400pt game today with my Central Asian Turks (Turgesh) vs Stephens T'Ang Chinese
T'Ang invaded in spring and terrain consisted of 2 DH 3 GH 2 RH and 2 RF.

I used Su Lu a brilliant General with 2 CvS, 8 LhS, 6 PsO, 6 HdO, 6 BwI a CvO SG with 4 CvO 8 LhS a second SG with 2 CvO and 6 LhS, Army baggage comprised 6 BgF and a Sogdian AG with 4 KnF and 2 LhF and 2 BgF.
Su Lu bought an Ambush, a Flank Attack and Feigned Flight (ambush discarded). Sogdian sent on Flank Attack on left and smaller SG Cmd delayed to rear. Su Lu deployed on left with LH to front and Bow in RF with Ps on a RH to rear with Hd guarding the baggage. The other SG deployed in Centre and to Right with 2 groups (turned out to be a major mistake) on 4 Lh with 2 CvO behind.

T'Ang comprised a Reg Bag (Pip dump) cmd and 3 largish Cmds with lots of Reg CvS several KnX, BwX, LhF and subject LhS turk renegades 2 ArtO also appeared.

I went first as defender and rolled a 6 for Su Lu and a disasterous 1 for on-table SG (other 2 Cmds not appearing yet. The 1 was major bind as I had deployed the SG in 2 groups and could only halt/move 1 and had to watch 4 of my Impetuous LhS ride forward onto lower slope of a GH in staggered formation.

The oppossing T'ang Cmd rolled a 6 of course and marched CvS right into my LH with upslope advantage.

It was shape of things to come as T'ang consistantly rolled high Pips and my lot low.

After 2 turns my SG Cmd had lost 4 elements of LH and were being outflanked on table by oppossing Turkish LH. My delayed Cmd appeared on turn 3 but despite the Flank Attack my Sogdians remained off table (they had a nice open flank to appear on as well with T'ang Cv and BowX).

In centre it was initally a stalemate as my Lh screen managed to survive vs BwX, Art and Cv. But once the KnX got into contact I began to lose a few elements. By this time my right flank had become disheartened and then broke.

In centre I moved a group of 6 Bow out of RF to counter Cav threatening Su Lu but this proved another mistake as large Pips by T'ang allowed them to surround the bow and destroy them in 2 turns.

Things looked bad (as usual) as I had inflicted only minimal losses on T'ang. I then charged Su Lu into an T'ang General using a brilliant stroke to try to turn things around. But.....you guessed it............ he threw the inevitable 1 to enemy 6 and bounced ingloriously off !

Still no sign of Sogdians despite by this time only needing a 4 or better to appear.

They had not arrived by the time a lost several more Lh and a CvS element which broke Su Lus Cmd ending the contest.

Despite yet another loss it was as ever an enjoyable game. My Pips were frustratingly low each turn and the non-appearence of the sodding Sogdians was not that helpful to my cause...........

BwX are a pretty decent troop type.

The impetuous LhS are caught by Cav





No comments:

Post a Comment